DFF3-UHD

Scotty B

Looking for some feedback on the Dff3-UHD Chirp Fishfinder.
Has anyone had some real experience with it?
Any screenshots would be great to see especially in deep water (300m+).
I currently have a FCV 1150 with R509 Transducer and I am very happy with it but if the new DFF3-UHD is as good as they say I'll upgrade to it.

I know we have many members who have the DI-FFAMP but since the DFF3-UHD came later and relatively new, I don't know how many have that unit but hopefully someone will offer you information eventually. Ultimately the DFF3-UHD would be equivalent to the internal TZT3 sounder with a DI-FFAMP attached. The advantage to the UHD is that it offers TZT2 customers the high power CHIRP option offered by the TZT3/DI-FFAMP.

I know we have many members who have the DI-FFAMP but since the DFF3-UHD came later and relatively new, I don't know how many have that unit but hopefully someone will offer you information eventually. Ultimately the DFF3-UHD would be equivalent to the internal TZT3 sounder with a DI-FFAMP attached. The advantage to the UHD is that it offers TZT2 customers the high power CHIRP option offered by the TZT3/DI-FFAMP.

Only TZT2 BB customers, right? Non BB TZT2 MFD's can't use the DFF3UHD i thought?

I have a TZT3 network with DFF3UHD. My TZT3 19 inch MFD runs a B285HW and the DFF3 UHD runs a R409LWM. Have only run two cruising trips so far covering about 300nm.

Pleased with set up but won't have good data until I do some offshore fishing trips in a few weeks.

Looking for some information on my DFF3-UHD pared with a 12inch Tzt 3 the transducer is a cm599lh I previously had it hooked up to a fcv 295 and the readings that i am getting now are not as good i loose the bottom sounding at slow speeds and loose bottom at about 15 kts the fcv295 was reading fish life in 300mtrs at 20knts clear i will attach some pictures regarding the cut out issue i am seeing i also would like to know if there is a auto shift feature called something else thumbnail_IMG_9044.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9038.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry this problem is not accepted. Even though we've explained it many times. It's not going to be understood, so don't try in vain. The first answer is that the transducer comes out of the water and picks up foam. You'll say 295 was in the same place. They will answer again. It is getting interference ..... Get fed up and give up, don't spoil your nerves.

mick12356,

You might give this a try: Set the DFF3-UHDs Transmit Rate to: "Manual", then ensure that the TX Rate is set to "20". Also ensure that the DFF3-UHD's Transmission Power is set to "Maximum".

I'd then select the sounder screen showing both the dual frequency screen (Low and High Frequencies), and then see how the bottom returns looks between both of those screens and if the picture cleans up.

The Low Frequency has a wider beam width and it should show you a good presentation of the bottom. The High Frequency is a narrower beam width and will be less susceptible to any potential turbulence, and better target separation within the water column.

- Deep Blue. ;)

@deepblue I usually experience the above problem at depths above 200mt. My settings are tx rate 20, tx power max. In addition, it helps when I slow down the screen scrolling speed to the end. I have b275lhw tzt3, tm260 197f, screen speed 1/1, the screen starts to jump in the smallest momentary foaming in a little wavy air. When touchscreens lose the bottom momentarily in case of momentary interruptions or pulse delay, the screen starts jumping up and down to find the bottom. It takes a long time to find the bottom again. I did experiments with 1971f and 588 by taking the transducer out of the water for 0.2-0.5 seconds and putting it back into the water. I have screen bounces bottom finding problems in 1971f over 100 meters. 588 does not have the problem in the same trial.
When we use low and high dual frequency mode in tzt3 and 1971, auto bottom lock or auto bottom zoom cannot be done. It is necessary to manually adjust the screen to the appropriate depth manually. When we do auto range, we do not separate the bottom fish from the bottom at 0-200 mt if the entire screen is all of the screen, which is a problem for bottom fishing.

Mehmet,

It sounds like your sounder is losing bottom. How fast is your vessel speed when this happens..? And how is the B275LHW Transducer mounted..? If the transducer is mounted in such a manner that it's being subjected to any turbulence, then that would explain the issue. :unsure:

1. Yes, it is very sensitive to momentary bottom losses in windy and wavy conditions. This is present in all touch screen furunos. When I removed TM260 from 1971f and installed 588, there is no screen jumping in momentary interruptions. (It is more of a problem when it is too deep (400mt-500mt) and signal reception becomes difficult. )
2. I also experience it when the boat engine is off.
Touch screens are very sensitive to millisecond interruptions, what do you think 588.... similar devices are better in this regard.

Will there be Auto Bottom zoom when using dual screen HF/LF together. Will it remain manual?

Last edited:
Deep Blue I have been on a few more fishing trips since this last post and have tried all Furuno Australia recommended settings they told me to try still not much difference the low side just doesn't have the target separation Furuno say they should have in there marketing and i still have cut-outs under 6 knots i have had my transducer tested with the tdt1000 airmir tester and its come back within spec now i have also done another test where i hooked it back up to my fcv295 and the sound of the transducer pinging on the low side is way louder compared to the dff3-uhd its like the dff3-uhd is not putting out full power on the low side im not sure what else to try but it feels like i have just waisted money buying this combo to have chirp for target separation in the deep water seems like the fcv295 is still the king (15 year old technology). Any recommendations would be awesome

mick12356,

The main difference is that the DFF3-UHD is "CHIRPing" the CM599LH transducer with a sweeping frequency of "28-60 kHz" , but when you connect the CM599LH to the FCV295 it's using a single "fixed CW frequency" of 50 kHz that may be simply pounding the bottom better.

What you can do is set the DFF3-UHD in "CW" mode so that is runs the CM599LH at a fixed frequency. Then I'd start with 42kHz and then adjust the frequency up to 50kHz and see what you kind of performance you get.

-Deep Blue

Back