Furuno newbie looking for a toehold

Stone Beach

1. On my new to me boat there is a suite of Furuno equipment, (one MFD has been removed by previous owner), I have now managed to lose the charts which were working a couple of days ago after selecting the still onboard TZTL12F as "chart master", I guess the removed unit was chart master before. Any ideas for recovery? There is a micro card in the slot. If you want a chuckle I now understand the significance of the other error message I was getting with fractions of 30. The first error message being that chart master not found....
  2. I can see a list of charts which is viewable from "Home Screen" then "Charts" (most items are now listed as "Available for purchase") . Are these on the installed micro SD card and I have to get an unlock code to use them ? or is it telling me what is available from CMap?
  3. Trying to figure out what version of software is currently in the MFD, without connecting the device to the internet is this possible? I have looked through the menus for days now but cant find it, manual refers to internet connection for this purpose. Having made some mistakes already I am hesitant ....
  4. Trying to pull up any of the swipe sideways "menus" is very difficult, requiring multiple swipes, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
  5. I feel like doing a full reload of the latest software and reverting to factory defaults but before I hit this rather nuclear option looking for tips or comments.
  6. Internal GPS sometimes fails to aquire any satellites, looks like it hasn't booted. Switching off and on typically fixes it but again am I doing something wrong ? is there a GPS reboot button somewhere?

1. The charts legally belong to the master unit for which the codes are cut. When it is set for chart master it shares the system ID with the rest of the connected units allowing all to share the licence to the entire boat. If he took that unit, he also took the charts. It is not legal to run charts on two different boats with only one purchased licence. The only exception to that is that if a cross licence agreement is in play from having ownership of one of the Nobeltec PC packages that offer cross licencing. Meaning if he provided you ownership of Nobeltec software that was linked to the system, you could have that link broken from the old MFD master and then have that PC joined to your master system ID. Any charts the PC has licence to should be granted to the Furuno MFD system. If this doesn't apply to you then, whatever charts you wish to purchase would need to be purchased from your dealer as the previous owner kept the licences he previously purchased.
2. The charts listed under HOME - CHARTS are either preloaded in the unit memory (like the base and tide charts) or on the SDmicro card at the back of the machine. The ones with a green checkmark are licence free and ready to use. The ones with a closed lock are ready to unlock and be used with the insertion of the correct unlock code from your dealer. Charts with the lock open, are unlocked and available for use, keeping in mind that slave units will continue to have the charts unlocked for 30 power cycles when a master is broken/removed to allow someone to get the unit fixed.
3. You can tell the software version of the unit by looking at the bottom right during the bootup process, running the quick self test after it is booted, or going to HOME - SETTINGS - INITIAL SETUP - Sensor list - Look at the center column that shows the software version of each device including the TZT2 MFDs. The wi-fi updating of the older TZT2 software didn't work so the unit if update is needed will most likely need to be done via the software and instructions posted under the product page. The current version for TZT2 is v8.01 and TZT2BB is v9.5.
4. Not sure why you are finding it difficult other than you are most likely running older software before improvements were put in place.
5. If you are starting with a new to you boat/system, it seem appropriate to update the software and start fresh with a factory clear.
6. No GPS reboot option or switch. The units are most likely buried too deeply in the boat to maintain good signal. An external GPS (or SAT Compass which can also provided GPS) would be recommended in such cases.

Hello Johnny, thanks for quick response
1 & 2 understood. Think I read somewhere that if I connect this MFD over the internet the charts will unlock if the licence fee has previously been paid against my unit? Is that correct ?
3. I will go to the boat and try what you suggest. Hopefully will find the s/w ref now. My MFD has on the back the following TZTL 12F Serial 100030-1022202. I think that is TZT2 so v 8.01 .... correct ?
4. Hopefully s/w update will fix it, we will see.
5. understood
6. understood. I have AIS with its own GPS, displaying on this MFD. Any way to get that GPS used as MFD sensor input? Currently both the AIS and the MFD are on the same N2000 backbone.

Yes, if the unit is connected to wifi/internet the unit will look for any unlock codes that might have been cut since last connection. I think your serial number provided is wrong because I can't find record of it in the world wide system. The MFD can use the GPS of the AIS if the AIS will provide the GPS PGN to the 2000 network. If the PGN is not there, it can't be obviously be used. You would need to see if the PGN for GPS could be turned ON.

Back