Upgrading from FAP-5002

A

Anonymous

New to me boat has NAVpilot-511 system in good working order but with single 5011 control unit in pilot house. Wire was run from Processor Unit to fly bridge helm station but second control unit never installed. Have not been able to locate affordable used 5 series control unit and I understand that 711 control heads are not compatible with FAP-5002 processor.
My question is:
If I upgrade to a 7000 series Processor Unit (and add a 711 control unit on the flybridge), can I plug the 700 series equipment into the existing wiring, and can I use the existing heading sensor and 5011 control unit?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Thank you for the prompt reply Johnny Electron,
May be that paying asking price for the used Navpilot 5 series controllers out there is worth it as my budget would not support replacing so much of the system.
Again thanks
mike

Follow up question please. Was able to acquire a used 5011 control unit to install in the fly bridge as mentioned in my first post. Attached the unit to the cable that runs from the processor (in ER) to the fly-bridge but the wire appears to have a break in it and the unit will not power up. I plugged into the lower helm unit cable and it came up okay. Swapped the cable connections on the processor but no joy on the fly-bridge. I still plan to further trouble shoot but if in the end I need to run a new cable, do you have a recommendation on where I can get a MJ-A7SPF0010 type cable? Are the newer cables compatible?
Thanks again
mike

The cable from the processor to the control is part #000-159-681.
It has a list price of $145 and can be ordered by any authorized Furuno dealer or reseller.

Back