Yamaha 425 A/P

If it will work with modulated 12 or 24, it might work. Do you have any web links to the information on the steering system?

No not much online about the 425. I was told by the boat manufacturer that Garmin had 1 that would work.

Looking online, is the Yamaha 425 just O/B engines? Is the electric steering built on the engine, do they have wiring for the electric steering off of the engines, like +/- wires to be connected to an autopilot? If it does and find out the power specifications of the steering, we can see if it falls within spec of what out pilot can handle.
We just need some information and if you can find any, feel free to post it on here and we can look it over.

It appears it is a helm master type system. Do you have a joystick or just a helm? What is the part number of the helm or other components you are using to turn the engines?

Yamaha.JPG

Good evening. I have just signed onto the forum, looks amazing. I hope no one minds that I jump onto this thread with regards to the AP units ....

We are busy repowering our 36FT sport fish boat. We currently have F350 motors that we are replacing with the XTO 425's. We have Furuno TZ touch MFD displays with NMEA2000. We also have the Navpilot FAP-711. I could not find much furuno information with regards to the XTO425's. My questions would for now be
1. will we be able to use the FAP-711 as in the brochure by adding a gate way and interface unit? They state 'The latest version of NMEA2000 Gateway (6YG) is required for Track Point and DriftPoint Track to obtain MFD navigation route information via
NMEA 2000 network". Is the furuno nmea2000 gate way the latest (6YG) ?
2. Will the TZ MFD net work and allow us Command Link, Command Link Plus, and Helm Master.
3. If we have Command Link, Command Link Plus, and Helm Master on our Furuno Display unit, will we be able to use our yamaha display units that we have or will we be loosing any features? - Sorry this question should go to Yamaha
4. WIll the yamaha AP unit key pad work with the FAP-711? I ask because we have only one main control unit at the main helm and we run the AP unit off a remote controler and the mfd,
5. Has furuno updated the MFD's so that we can split the screens between furuno functions and the yamaha command link or do we still only have a full screen option ?
6. If we are able todo this type of net work and interface, will we loose any features on the throttle controls.....Stay Point and fish point are important. Im not too sure the significants of drift point.

The issue we have here is that there have not been too many refit of motors with the XTO , it would be far easier if we started from scratch however , if we do not need to because everything can talk toeach other, it should save us some money and hassle. Thank you for your time so far. James.

Regardless of the engines, what is your steering system? Are you talking HELM MASTER, HELM MASTER EX or what? I can tell you for sure that HELM MASTER EX has gone to using proprietary autopilot and you would have to replace the pilot to a Yamaha. Apparently the plotter would stay. I found this video online and they are using Furuno TZT2 units.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Kp8sNN00A

Jamesloca":2zsuhpez said:
The agents here have told us that we will need to use the new DES helm system.

"DES helm system" otherwise known to Yamaha as "Level 2" of the HELM MASTER EX system for outboards. Currently there isn't any cross compatibility with the newest Helm Master EX.

Hope this clears things up, :sail

- Maggy

Hi James hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
I'm the guy who will be fitting the engines.
What I would like to know is the following.
We want to fit the Yamaha 6X6 Digital electric controls which are the previous generation digital controls.
We also have the Yamaha CL7 gauge networked to the Furuno TZ2 15' screen and all data is being transferred, but when we try to engage the AP we get "EVC not detected"
What I need to know is it possible to use the 711c autopilot on the F425's if we are not running the old version of Helm Master as all I see online is that the 711c is compatible with the old version of Helm Master?
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Grant

Thanks for your reply.
I do not want to run any form of helm master I just want to get the 711c to work with the electric steering.
I was able to get the garmin AP to work with the yamaha electric steering without an issue and was hoping to get the same with Furuno but I fear it may not be possible.

If it works like a reversible pump (two wire connection) then it should work. Normal electric steering moves all the engines together and works off the same voltage as a reversible Hydraulic pump would. You don't get the fancy independent engine movement or drive by wire offered by systems like Helm Master. If the previous pilot was still working; I think I would have left that as it was, and connected the new plotters to that. If you are doing a normal steering connection then why did someone select it as Drive by wire (EVC)? If you don't have an EVC/Helmaster type system, it sounds like someone just set it up wrong. If this is two wire reversible it would be setup as such, not EVC. There is a lot of Helmaster type talk in this thread..like "The latest version of NMEA2000 Gateway (6YG) is required for Track Point and DriftPoint Track to obtain MFD navigation route information via
NMEA 2000 network" These move the engines independently and require proprietary stuff.

Grant/James,
The CL7 will allow engine data from your engines to our MFD. It does nothing to allow our data to your engines.

You say you do not want to run any form or Helm Master. "DES" was mentioned earlier.
What is your steering system? If it is Yamaha DES, that is the base for Helm Master EX.

If it is no form of Helm Master, is it hydraulic, Optimus or something else?

Maybe some photos of your helm controls (front and back) and drive systems would help us to identify what you have going on.

Seems like we may be getting somewhere now, I hope
So everything other than the engines where originally on the boat it’s only the engines that have changed.
The previous 350’s had hydraulic steering and the new habe electric steering so I suppose the thought was that we would need to use evc to control it but as you mentioned we may just be using a 2 wire system.
Will try that and see what transpires.
So in summary you think we should just set it up as a normal autopilot even though it’s electric steering by wire steering?
Do you perhaps know of any boats running 425’s with Furuno AP currently?
Once again thanks for your time it is appreciated.

Back