AP configuration

danderer

Furuno Fan
Working through configuring a new AP for my boat. It is a 53' trawler, 60K lbs. Steering cylinder is a Hynautic K-2-B, 17.7 cu in. I currently have a Simrad AP27 with an RPU 160 pump. I'd like to reuse the pump.

My thought is to add a 711C AP, give it heading information from an SCX20 (no PG700), and keep the RPU 160. Is that a reasonable configuration?

I'd really like to have an AP remote (wired or wireless) to enable acknowledging waypoint turns or dodging from locations within the pilothouse - something like the FAP-7021 (I see that referenced in the 711C manual but it is obsolete, right? In any case it sure looks like my AP27). Is there a current remote solution that will provide this capability?

I see the 300 AP does come with a remote that seems to have the functionality I want. Is the 300 (vs 711C) an appropriate option for my boat?

Thanks.

From what I see online the RPU 160 is rated for boats up to 50ft, but yours exceeds that. https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simrad/ ... ll-region/
What is your hard over time from port to starboard? From what I can tell the size seems correct for your cyl, but confused why they limit it to 50ft. If the pump is working well, you can drive it with the NAVpilot 711C. The Navpilot 300 is more designed for OB center consoles and really wouldn't be appropriate. You are correct the 720 type control head is no longer sold. You could run up to six 711C control heads, add lever remotes, or make your own control buttons using the general in/out. Here is the link to remote levers. https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... _final.pdf

Thanks again Johnny,

I'm not too concerned about the 50' mention; suspect that was a way of giving folks a 'rough' estimation of where the pump would be appropriate. I'm 53' LOA, 48' LOD and the pump has worked fine for many years. Hard-over to hard-over is around 18 secs - don't know if that is good or bad but has seemed adequate.

If I need to replace the pump (now, or in the future) that is simple enough, just more $.

A remote as I mentioned would be a nice addition to the product line. Until then, if I can scrape up an old 720 would that work with a 711?

18 seconds is generally considered bad and not fast enough for good control. Normally you are seeking about 10 seconds hard over time. I think our rudder test will accept something like 7 - 13 seconds. Beyond that the test will tell you it might be too fast or too slow to safely control the boat.

If you found a 720 control head; sure it would work with the 711C, no problem.

Just so I didn't screw up - should I have been testing from the centered position to hard-over? Or hard-over to hard-over (which is what I did)?

Assuming I tested correctly and the current pump is too slow, then is an appropriate replacement just a PUMPHRP17-12? Any better choices?

The RPU actually is spec'd for the same flow rate as the HRP17-12. The RPU manual also specifies that for my ram the hard-over to hard-over time should be 11 secs. (I was surprised to see there is a table benchmarking the pump with a number of different rams.)

So maybe my pump is just tired and in need of replacement.

Sorry for the extensive questions here - my local dealer has been less than responsive and so this will be DIY.

If you decide on a new pump, I would save some money and get the PUMPOCT16-12. It is like half of the price and they are a really good product. Yes, hard over time is from full port to full starboard (or vice versa). As you found in the documents, 11 seconds is a good hard over time. You might want to check the cylinder too before you buy anything. I would hate to see you buy a pump and the problem be a worn-out cylinder.

Back