Updating charts

A

Anonymous

This should be easy, but...

How exactly does one update a chart on a TZTouch 2?

I have downloaded the updates that I want, unzipped them on my computer, but now what? We can use SDUS00VS57MAP13 as an example. I'm trying to update from version 12 which was pre-installed.

The TZ manual says to copy them to the root directory on an SD card and insert it in the system. Well, what SD card? The one that came with the system with all the pre-installed charts? I tried, but that card is read-only when you put it in the computer. (yes, the lock switch is not locked). Is there magic to write-enable the card? Or do I put it on a different card, and if so, how does it get onto the card that came with the system with all my other charts?

I also tried copying the file to a USB stick and inserting that into the USB cable on the TZ2. The TZ finds the chart, as evidenced by my display now showing a detailed chart rather than the WW chart, but how does it get over to my SD card with all the other charts? Does it copy in the background, and if so, how do I know when it's done?

I also found the document "Handling Mapmedia Charts" on the web site under the TZTouch 2 product page tech tab. It goes into great detail about unlock codes, but does tell you how to get a char file loaded into the catalog on the MFDs SD card.

There is probably a very simple solution, but it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

Twistedtree-
I have checked with our department that does the chart card programming and they do not write protect the cards. I checked one I had and it is also open to modification. You can leave the USB connected with charts and they will be read, but they will not transfer to the card.

I got past the read-only issue. Don't know what changed, but I can now write to the MicroSD card.

But the real point here is that there appears to be zero documentation about how to update chart files when you have an existing library. So in one hand I have the SD card that came with the TZ2 and is populated with a directory tree of various chart files. And in the other hand I have several downloaded and unzipped chart files from Mapmedia. Now what?

- Do I find the corresponding old chart files, delete them, and copy over the new ones into the same directory locations? Will the TZ automatically find them, or will I cause a scrambling of some internal database if I do that?

- Do I leave the old chart files in place and simply copy over the new files? If the TZ automatically find the new files and know to use them rather than the older ones? And if I copy over the new files, where in the directory structure should I put them? I found one document that says to put them in the root, but that's not where they are in a new product?

- And what about the Currents files. They don't appear to be stored on the SD card. Even with the SD card removed, some files, including the WW currents are still listed in the catalog. How do I replace them? Please note that the WW current file is up to date, but there are more specific (presumably) regional current files that I'm trying to add for better current data.

Chart management was exceptionally poor on the NN3D products, and I was hoping it would be a lot better on the TZ.

Oh, and even if I did leave a USB stick installed with the newer chart file, how do I know that the TZ will always use the newer version chart rather than the older on that's on the SD card? The instructions that do exist explicitly say to delete the old file before adding the new file, so from that I deduce that the TZ does not handle multiple versions of the same chart?

The unit is very forgiving.
If you don't delete the old version of the chart, it wont matter except for less space available on the card. The TZT2 will always use the newest chart file that you have license to.

The current preloaded map set is put in file folders for a neat and organized method to locate what file you are seeking. Ultimately you can drop a properly unzipped map file anywhere you please on the chip and the machine will see and use it. The chart management of the TZT2 has progressed a lot from the older NN3D days.

The unit will read charts from the micro SD, the USB port or both. There is no copy program. If you want to put a map on the micro SD just drop it directly on it with your PC and put it back in.

From your original posting I am concerned about the card reader you are using on your PC. PCs sometime can be dated and not support newer expanded memory formats. For example there is SD, SDHC, SDXC standards. Your card reader should be 100% SDXC compatible. If you attempt to use an older SDHC reader, it might try to work but encounter read/write errors or corrupt your data. If you are not sure, new SDXC readers run about $10 from TigerDirect or Newegg.com.

Thanks, that's VERY helpful. I'd encourage you to just cut and paste your post into the TZ manual and the update instructions. Those few paragraphs would have saved me about 1/2 day and a lot of frustration and cursing at an otherwise fine product. I like to keep my chart library organized so I can easily tell what I have and can compare to the latest available on MapMedia and update as needed. The directory structure on the supplied SD card is quite nice, and I'll continue to use it now that I know how.

Back