Supply Chain Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viexile

I carefully did my homework and selected Furuno systems for fishing.

I am now on my FOURTH retailer for five figures in Furuno products. Thank goodness I haven't yet cut the keel in my Downeaster to prep for the pocket transducer. The latest retailer, with at least a modicum of understanding of the products, and who didn't try to upsell me to Garmin, represented everything available and in inventory as follows:

TZT3 12F: 12 in inventory
DRS4D NXT: 40 in inventory
Dff3d: 10 in inventory
SCX 20: No issues
165T/275lhw12P: Available Feb . 8-9

This is a reasonably respected retailer. Early this morning I got the "backorder creep" message pushing the TZT3 and the Dff3d off the table into the "backorder netherzone" a 2 week pushback. I suspect this will continue into the foreseeable future.

What, exactly, is going on with Furuno USA? I see no sense in purchasing a radome and satellite compass if everything else is going to get continually shoved back into the black hole of backorder. I fully comprehend the "supply chain" issues, but are we gaming here?
Bait and switch? I've been working on this since November and am getting nowhere. With all due respect, time to give up on Furuno and cancel the order?

I'd like an explanation.

We try to maintain a productive and helpful tone here on this forum, focusing on answers. Sometimes it might not be the answer you want to hear. We try to keep the axe grinding where it belongs; elsewhere. Any long or unresolved issues should be properly addressed within Furuno's normal official support channels, so it can get the concentrated focus it needs to be resolved. In case of supply, even the official channels can offer little help.

You have a great system in mind and I wish there was some magic wand that could be waved to provide it for you. Since Covid, everyone has been seeking activities away from other people. This is been driving a demand for RVs, Boats, and camping gear to name a few. When it comes the electronics that people wish to place on those boats, a large demand coupled by the chip shortages that has Ford and many others slowing production exacerbated by shipping issues off our coasts make it a real challenge. While we have been flying in product and doing everything we can to feed the demand, it isn't enough.

The fastest way to get product is to have an order in and be in line waiting ones turn. There is no greater conspiracy theory going on that Furuno is trying to prevent you from having your system. We would love to provide everything to you tomorrow, but we can't. It is just crazy times in our world right now. You will find most other manufacturers are in the same "boat". Pardon the pun. Working with you dealer is the best and fastest method to getting what you need.

The order is in and I'm 'waiting my turn.' The problem has been the wide disparity in "availability dates." First, Feb. 8th, then the 25th, when others told me "not until June." I've seen March and April on the same units as well.

I hate to piecemeal a system over the course of 6 months that really won't be useful until all parts arrive. That's all.

Did anyone say "Furuno is trying to prevent . . . from having the system." Jeez. Sorry you took it that way. You plunk down 5 figures and you'd kind of half expect someone to have a clue as to when certain equipment might be available instead of (retailer) ". . . well, we can't help it when the backorder shipping date is pushed back . . . it's an estimated date only and could change." Curiously, it changed as soon as my order was placed.

I'm really looking forward to using this equipment on a new/old build in the Caribbean. Thank you for your response.

I run a $200M global sensors business. I can tell you that the availability of key electronic components, everything from various semiconductors (microprocessors, DAC's, etc) to specialized passive components (precision resistors, capacitors, etc) is highly unpredictable right now. We generally keep inventory of 6-12 months of electronic boards to manufacture our products and we normally receive a steady stream of parts into our plants from our suppliers. This has not been the case now for at least 6 months and we are living hand to mouth on parts. A micro that normally costs $3 can only be found at brokers in small volumes for $60-$80. Sometimes we choose to buy those parts and deal with the impact to our COGS, and sometimes we hold off looking for another solution. Our lead times are normally 4-5 weeks. Today they are 12-16 weeks and in some cases we cannot deliver for 6 months as we wait on key components.

No surprise to me that any company that manufactures electronics of any type is having issues. Going to be awhile before it stabilizes.

Try living on an island where virtually NOTHING is produced except fish. "Supply chain" issues are nothing new. I was simply wondering how it worked as far as the retailers/authorized dealers went and why such a disparity in "availability" dates. We obviously have to wait.

The manufacturers involved are not going to throw their important suppliers under the bus with regard to why you can't get what you want. It may not be a different shade of green on the other side of the fence.

That said, if you cancel your order, it will move me ahead one place in line as I wait for 10 DFF3D transducers.

Got my explanation from the retailer and ALL items were found in various locations and shipped for Monday delivery except the transducer. Talking with Airmar now about the 275 vs. 265 and was kind of surprised to find out the 265 is not LHW. My misreading, apparently. The 265 is best for deep bottom detail. The 275 in the upper water column for pelagics. But only the 275 goes wide.

Great to hear you got it all sourced. Yes, transducer selection is very custom to the boat and the fishing plans/areas. Sounds like you have a great system and plan in place.

Fingers crossed. At $35.99 a pound for grouper and $29.99 a pound for mahi, yellowfin, wahoo and snapper in the local stores I'm hoping it will pay for itself quickly. On a DE boat with a brand new/old Cummins Reman, new Marsh Tacky riggers and all kinds of bells and whistles I should be doing around 17kn cruise and averaging less than 6.5 gph. Very excited about the Furuno gear. Need to get this done. Mahi season starts in a month.

Most retailers tried very hard to steer me into other gear. I think I did my homework pretty well. For months. Now it's time to start studying manuals. Glad I have a buddy that is a Furuno Authorized installer.

I would love to see photos when everything is dragging in fish. It is a well thought out package. It is always best to measure twice before cutting. Awesome stuff.

I thought I'd update this thread with the notice posted on Hodges Marine Electronics site regarding availability of the 165T 275LHW 12P PM (cut and pasted). I really don't know what to do, since it's been almost 6 months since I ordered. I don't know if this is a bad joke or a mistake:

Out of Stock - Expected Ship date: Thu Jun 06, 2176 to Fri Jun 07, 2176

Esperanza 38 miles away from the dock. In the V.I.

Oh, and now the message from the Supplier is "Out-of-Stock Item(s):
Est Ship Date: PAST DUE - FUR165T-275LHW-12P Furuno 165t/275lhw-12p Pocket Mount Combo Transducer F/Dff3d & Tzt3 Displays"

For nearly 6 months nobody at any supplier or Furuno has given me a straight answer on where this gear might be in the "supply chain issues."

. . . and now it's changed to "July 8-11th." How difficult is it, really, to explain what is going on without falling back on the "supply chain issues" mantra? Furuno should have some inkling as to when these PM units might ship rather than simply pushing it back and pushing it back for 6 months and keeping paying customers in the dark. I've lost a lot of money over the past 6 months, so yes, I'm irritated and I don't really care if someone feels that inquiring as to the status of a multi-thousand dollar paid-for order is "not helpful".

As a moderated forum, this thread is turning into an axe grind and will be locked soon. We have other threads that address this topic. This forum is not a soap box to file personal complaints after the question has been asked and answered. We focus on getting assisting in factual answers about the product itself not delivery. We help each other and we build useful threads that people can search. There are many forums filled with useless axe grinding and we don't do that here. We appreciate the understanding the focus that we wish to maintain here. We appreciate that our products are in demand.

Furuno doesn't have your money. We don't collect until AFTER delivery. I will add some facts to consider. 1) We do not get between a dealer or reseller and their customers. They run their own businesses. We don't control how much inventory they order, keep, or the order in which they deliver the product. 3) They are the best resource to speak to about any order with THEM. Many have staged orders and we have ZERO visibility on individual customer orders at our end. Furuno has orders from direct dealers and a lot of them. We don't play favorites, nor do we push someone who screams the loudest to the front of the line. We have a fair process based on when orders are placed and that is that. We have no control what the dealers and resellers do. They are independent operations. 4) While Airmar has the same challenges as the rest of the world right now with product, they have got production levels up and catching up on backorders quickly. No one makes money by piling backorders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZpBRpRLNV8

Thanks for understanding and I do hope you are able to get your item(s) soon.

Reread what you wrote. Not great customer support. No axe to grind. No soap box. I do, however, appreciate the Airmar video. (Sigh).

Why was Furuno most affected? From supply chain breakage. We have been waiting for a transducer for Dff3d for 1 year. Still no clear day and no explanation. The dff3d module I bought is out of warranty before I can use it. There is something in this business.

Warranty doesn't start when something is ordered. Warranty starts when the device is purchased and received from your dealer. Some extra grace period is also given to accommodate the install if the product is registered. Please contact your dealer or Furuno support direct with any individual case concerns and questions about warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back