N2K terminal in newer DRS radars?

aquabelle

Furuno Super Fan
I'm planning an upgrade from my NN3D (MFD12) and DRS4D system. My 'old' DRS4D incorporates a N2K port that I use for a GP330B gps. Have these N2K ports disappeared from the newer DRS radars, like the -4D-NXT?

You are correct. The newer radars no longer have the CanBus port.

I understand there is a 'conversion kit' for cabling the DRS4D-NXT while leaving the original DRS4D cabling in place....but I haven't been able to find documentation on this. The manual I have for the -NXT says 'see chapter 4' but then doesn't have a Chp 4. Could you point me in the right direction to find out about the conversion kit please?

Also, I'm wondering if the conversion kit might make it possible for me to maintain the connectivity of the GP330B that currently connects via my DRS4D? Location of DRS4D and 330B means a lot of installation pain could be avoided if this were possible!

thanks

aquabelle,

This conversion kit referenced in DRS4D-NXT Installation Manual is the: 001-426-250-00 Retro Kit.

What the kit does is that enables you to reuse a existing DRS4D Lower Radome/Assy and provide you with a new Cable Gland and Clamp for the new style DRS4D-NXT Cable/Assy.

This kit will not provide any connectivity for a GP330B that is connected to a DRS4D, as there is no CANBUS Port with the DRS4D-NXT as Melville correctly mentioned.

- Deep Blue ;)

Ahh...I see. So the DRS4D cabling is actually removed and replaced by the new cable with the -NXT; and the retro kit is not about cable re-use but just the dome's base and clamping gland: have I got it now?

thanks

Thanks Deep Blue Sea. Let me test your patience a bit further: so if I migrate from NN3D to TZT2, I could keep my DRS4D radar IF I added a PSU017 power supply...right? If I did this, would I also get to keep my GP330B N2K GPS?

(I guess I would need to weigh up the benefit of this vs selling the DRS4D and buying the much better (?) DRS4-NXT and re-installing the 330B...that's the trade-off, yes?)

Deep Blue is unavailable for a few days, so I will answer.
I could keep my DRS4D radar IF I added a PSU017 power supply...right? If I did this, would I also get to keep my GP330B N2K GPS?
Correct, you can keep the existing radar, including the GP330B connected to its internal connection as long as you properly power the radar. At most, you would need to update the radar software if your scanner was prior to roughly 2012.

Johnny: my scanner is more like 2009/10. I didn't even know there was a radar software upgrade....how is that done? Is it something I can do now, with the DRS4D connected to the MFD12?

Yes, you can upgrade the radar software now. You will need the NN3D uploader software for the DRS. Under the DRS model (DRS4D) number on our website, you will find the instructions and software for each system type (NN3D, TZT, TZT2). The TZT and TZT2 use the same software file (different instructions). You need to get the NN3D uploader instructions and uploader software. I notice the uploader software is not posted, so I will ask that it be done. It should show up in the next 24 hours.

Thanks a lot Johnny. Could you also point me to a write-up of what changes to the radar's operation or performance come with the s/ware upgrade, please?

No difference in performance.

The software is only to accommodate the communication changes from the NN3D (where radar get assigned an IP address by the master) to TZT (where the radar assigns its own IP address).

Back