DRS4D-NXT aft-facing installation?

SVSparklemuffin

Has anyone attempted to install the DRS4D-NXT mounted in an aft-facing orientation? As might be the case on a sailboat with a backstay-mounted gimbal pole that faces aft?

If so, how is this installation working for you? Any issues?

Best wishes,
Chuck

You shouldn't. The doppler feature requires the bow mark forward as described in the manual. Any mounting or mast should not be between the radar and the direction of travel. Same goes for objects. These are x-band radar not x-ray.

Understood, thank you Johnny. Since that is the case

(A) Although the installation manual does state the bow mark should face forward, I suggest it also explicitly states that aft-facing orientations are not supported.

(B) The installation manual describes and the TZT3 software permits the "Antenna Heading Align" setting to take values between -180 and +180 degrees. This range implies that arbitrary orientation is possible, and makes no sense if the bow mark must face forward. I suggest both the manual and software are updated to more applicable forward-facing range limits such as -90 to +90 or even -45 to +45.

Best,
Chuck

Since the DRS in 2008 we have found little need for the adjustment as long as it is mounted squarely on a boat. The NXT requires it be mounted correctly for Doppler functionality. I will bring it to their attention for considering an edit. I think the software adjustment is like that for magnetron radars and older drs units. I will pass it on.

Back