Best combo for hard bottom

Capt. Mike,
That is excellent news. That means you did a great job fitting the transducer into the fairing block. That's where it all starts, well done. Now I don't know if I fully understand the question but I think you want to adjust the zoom range of the left side of the screen. To do that you will need to go into the sounder set up menu. The default setting is 30ft, but you can adjust it via the menu. See below.

Looking forward to seeing a few screen shots.

Snips

Attachments

• Zoom range.JPG
    Zoom range.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,621
Snips,Yes I understand the zoom range.Can I run no zoom regular screen and shift the range to see the last 15 ft ,full screen?I fish from 50 to 150ft for bottom fish.Would like to have full screen of last 15-20.Is there a way to set your shift range and then move the bottom up or down as depth changes with the slider bar??What should I set my shift range at?What kind of settings do you recommend. Tx,Rx,smoothing.Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
On the main screen just do a upward swipe to change the viewing point (start) of the sounder range. Normally is starts at 0, but if you swipe upward you can move it down wherever you want. The minimum scale is 16ft however i.e. if you start the top at 20ft the bottom will be 36ft. You can have it larger but not smaller.

Snips

Hi Snips,I have been running the new set up for 5 charters now.(TZTL12 and a CA 50/200 12M.)I like the picture and it shows the bottom well at speed. Are there any tuning tips you can give me?I am running split screen,zoom on left and regular on right.I also run manual gain about..60 in 80ft of water.(bottom fishing)Trying to get maximum out the system.With the gain at 60 in 80ft of water there is NO noise..clutter on the screen?I like a little clutter.If I turn up the gain higher it just makes my "second echo too red".Where it's hard to determine the hardness....everything is red.If that makes sense.Should I crank up the gain, then remove some with clutter?Can you give me a few tips on adjustments?The only thing I'm doing is manual gain?THANKS Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
Can you take a couple of screen shots next time out for me. I would like to see both frequencies if you have a chance. Also your menus settings. Basically on the TZT2 I adjust Range, Gain and Clutter. I leave the screen advance on 1/1, TX rate at 20 and Power at 10. The screen shot below was from a test in Alaska on a pretty rough day with the transducer hanging over the side, I switched from HF to LF mid screen.

Snips

Attachments

• DSCF2342.JPG
    DSCF2342.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,594
Sure I have trips next week.I would like to post pics of the transducer install.Can't seem to get them up.What us the proper way to post pics? They are jpg on a tablet? thanks

[attachment=0]20170121_173239.jpg[/attachment]I can only add one photo at a time.Came out awesome.Shows bottom nice at speed. A few more screen adjustments and I think it will be great.

Attachments

• 20170121_173239.jpg
    20170121_173239.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,585
20170119_051421-1296x972.jpg

Attachments

• 20170116_155239-1944x1458.jpg
    20170116_155239-1944x1458.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 1,579
20170212_100929-1944x1458.jpg20170212_085117-1944x1458.jpg20170212_070039-1944x1458.jpgI was traveling 30 miles per hour in this shot(33 ft).Second and third shot we caught keeper grouper.The only adjustment is gain at 50-55.What do you think of the images.Adjustments??

Capt. Mike,
Thanks for posting the screen shots, they look pretty darn nice.
What is the bottom type you are fishing over?

Snips

Snips,You have to be on hard bottom to catch keeper grouper.We caught 10 keepers on the two images.Customers were happy.thanks Capt.Mike

20170214_143656-1944x1458.jpgSnips,Was coming home yesterday at 30mph,when I noticed the double echo..bottom right..dark red.What I thought was strange was there was no red under
the first echo.Should I be looking at the second echo?I didn't turn around and look at it.Mike

Capt. Mike.
It would be interesting to take a core sample of the bottom type you like to fish over. To me it appears comprised of three layers. In your screen shot it appears that twice the third layer showed a density change which was displayed in the primary and secondary returns. The other return you are asking about I think is more of a density change in the very top layer. I trust you marked the spot so next time you are in the area you can take another look at it. This time I would use both frequencies, personally I prefer to use the LF side for density changes rather the HF side. Using both you see and compare the two.

Snips

Snips, I been using this set up since February.Overall I'm happy.One thing I'd like better is when I'm in 150ft of water trying to mark bottom fish I have to go idle speed to mark them.Can I adjust the TX .I'm pretty shure its at 20 or max..whatever default is.All my settings are default except the gain.Should I adjust the TVG.Just to refresh on the setup.TZ Touch 2 12" with a CA 50/200 12M custom mounted in a B260 faring.My picture is perfect at 30mph.Just want to go a little faster than idle to find fish?Any adjustment help would be appreciated. Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
You can try using a MAX TX rate, in the doing so the 295 will start transmitting faster with a much shorter pulse length. I don't know if it will help or not but you can try it. If you adjust the TVG settings remember "Less is more" meaning the lower the numbers on the TVG Level/Distance the more you will see.

Snips

Goodmorning Snips. I write from Italy and I have the same problems of the author of thread.
I fish in Mediterranean Sea, only more deeper (100-300 meters - 300/900') and I need to see hard bottom on flat bottom looking only at the tails under structure. Rocks and wrecks above are easy which every machine...... Now I have another brand chirp sonar with which I cannot see tails.... on every single freq.... never....
For reducing costs, if I used an FCV 587 or 588 instead TZT2 with the transducer that you say (CA50/200 12M) con I obtain the same visual results (beautiful tails under bottom on page #4)??
Thank you very much
Luigino

Gritta,
To be honest I have never tried that combination in that depth of water.

Snips

Thank you for reply. Up to what maximum depth did you tested this "combo"?

Back