FCV 295 paired with Airmar B275LHW/R109LHW

Spork87,
You can slew any transducer out of it's frequency range, it just won't perform as well. The FCV-295 is blocked from 53-65, 111-139 and 171-183khz. I would set the LF frequency to 42Khz and the band width set to 21Khz. This will allow you to slew the frequency from 31.5 to 52.5khz. I would set the HF side to 200 or 155khz with the band width of 40khz.

Snips

Hi snips,
I have now finished installing the sounder and transducer. Just need to wire it up.
With the tap settings for the 275 do they need to be set to A in both the xdcr settings and also the jumper wires in the back of the sounder? Also what colors do I connect with the temp cable?
Thanks talk soon

Spork87,
The Tap Setting for the R109LHW is "B" for the LF side and "A" for the HF side. Brown and White are temperature wires and they go to pins 2 & 3 of the 6pin Temp connector.

Snips

Hi snips.
Sorry I ended up going with the b275lhw. The Furuno website says that the hf tap is A and also the lf tap is A. Do these need to be set as in the XDCR settings and also the jumper wire at the back?
Cheers

Spork87,
The Tap Settings for the 275 is "A" for LF/HF. The menu just lets you know what the Taps should be set for.

Snips

Hi snips,
I have installed my new 295 and b275 and everything seems to be going well. 1 quick question though when the gain is on manual the gain setting seems to flicker slightly and you notice it on the screen as it changes to strength of the echos. For example if I set it to 9 on the dial it will flicker between 8.9 and 9.1 for some reason. Have you any idea what would be causing this?
Thanks in advance.

Spork87,
Yes I have noticed that also. The cause is most likely the FCV-295 All Gain function. When turned on, the AG affects all the targets on the display. You mentioned see the Gain numbers changing a bit, this slight change will cause all the targets to change in intensity i.e. flicker. Two things you can do, slightly adjust the gain control so it is not between two number (5.8-5.9) or turn off the AG function in the menu.

Other than this how is it working?

Snips

Hi snips,
Any idea why it changes gain setting on its own? I'd prefer to have the all gain setting on as I find it quiet useful.. so far I'm super happy with the setup. Thanks again for the advice.

Spork87,
The gain control is a potentiometer. Watch the gain values change as you turn it up or down and you will see it takes very little to change the gain value by .1. Just adjust it a hair until the gain number is stable.

Snips

HI Snips,
So the fine tuning continues... something that i have noticed over the past few trips is that the temp on the 295 is really unstable and jumps around a lot by up to a full degree when the temp on my MFD is quiet stable. Is there something that i might have hooked up incorrect or a setting i my have wrong?
thanks in advance.

Spork87,
Are you using the temp sensor in the 275 or do you have another NMEA source? If you are using the 275 as a source double check your connections going into the six pin temperature plug.

Snips

hi snips,
I'm currently using the internal temp sensor in the 275. Can i please confirm the colours to join for the temp sensor to the temp cable?
cheers

Spork87,
The brown and white wires go to pins 2 & 3 on the six pin plug.

Snips

Hi Snips, do you know what colours they are on the plug side? Also does it matter what way they go?
cheers

I AM INTERESTED IN UPGRADING MY SONAR SYSTEM TO THE FCV 295 , I AM INTERESTED IN DEPTHS FROM 200 FEET TO 2000 FEET IN SALT WATER. I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS SYTEMS PERFORMANCE & TRANSDUCER RECCOMENDATIONS

Good morning Massid,

For further conversation I would recommend to start your own thread. It makes it easier for the moderators to keep track of what questions have been asked by which member.

Thank you for your post. This is a difficult question to answer concerning recommendations. There are plenty of variables that will need to be considered. The Depth range that you mentioned is quite large, do you plan to spend more time in deeper water or more time in shallower water? What kind of vessel are you operating: What is the size and does it go on a trailer often or get pulled out with a lift often? What kind of fish do you primarily target. Some of these questions will need to be answered, and probably more, in order to get the highest performance from the FCV295 for your fishery.

Kind Regards,

hi snips
I have been following this thread and just bought myself a 295 and TM265 LH
just in the process of wiring it up
The brown and white wires go to pins 2 & 3 on the six pin plug.
im guessing I can just buy the plug itself and it doesn't need the cord coming off the back of the plug if that makes sense
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Furuno-Plug-6-p ... kn&vxp=mtr
im guessing the plug is marked pins 2 and 3
thanks adam

Adam,
Pins two and three are correct for the 6-pin temperature plug. The NMEA cable listed on EBAY would have the Black wire going to Pin 2 and the Yellow going to Pin 3. I would double check that this correct with an Ohm meter as there are two cables with 6-pin connectors.

Snips.

Back