Using 6 pin Garmin B260 with FCV588

A

Anonymous

I have a 6 pin Garmin B260 from Airmar (part number 010-10640-00) that I would like to hook up to my new FCV-588. What is the pin/wire color assignment to splice on the Furuno 10 pin female pigtail to the existing xducer cable? Will temp work? Will bottom discrimination/Accu-Fish/Rezboost work? Many thanks in advance.

You would need to cut off the Garmin connector and wire on the Furuno Pigtail cable/connector Furuno part# AIR-033-333. You will spice it on color for color. It will work great with the FCV588 including accufish/Bottom Discrimination and no matching box is needed.

Thanks for the quick reply JE! Just to wrap this up, will the Rezboost post-processing work on this unit just as well as with the 526TID-HDD? Assuming temp will NOT work? Thanks! Kyle

I believe your temp will work. I think Garmin uses the same range temp sensor as we do. After putting on the pigtail cable you are running a 526TID-HDD. It will conduct rezboost.

I received the 10F Furuno (Airmar) pigtail Air 033-333. it appears this is not quite a color-for-color splice.

Just to back up a second, I am attempting to connect a Garmin 6 pin B260 (Garmin part # 010-10640-00, Airmar part # 91-721-rev04-b) to my brand new FCV588. For your convenience, a wiring schematic for the Garmin Airmar B260 6 pin transducer is attached here as a PDF.

On this Garmin B260, just like on the Furuno B260 (526TID-HDD), the green and red wires are cut off at both ends, and the INNER bare is also cut off inside the transducer. However, in addition, on the Garmin B260 (unlike the Furuno B260) the BROWN wire is ALSO cut off at both ends.

The 10F Furuno pigtail has NO orange wire or connector on pin # 5, so I am assuming XID is either not supported using the 10F pigtail or it is not important? If either of these is true, then do I just attach the outer bare to the pigtail pin #4 to support thermistor function?

I am thinking this is correct:

Furuno 10F Pigtail pin # -- Garmin B260 Wire Color
1 -- unused
2 -- unused
3 -- unused (or jumper to pin 4?)
4 -- outer bare (thermistor gnd)
5 -- unused (there is no pin 5 wire on this pigtail for XID)
6 -- unused
7 -- white (thermistor +)
8 -- blue (depth +)
9 -- inner bare (depth shield)
10 -- black (depth -)

Thanks (again) in advance for your help! Kyle

Attachments

• 91-721-rev04-b.pdf
    111.7 KB · Views: 106
Airmar used to keep the wires independent and then for Garmin tie the grounds together at the connector. The "tie" would be cut off when you remove the Garmin connector. It looks like they have changed the wiring a bit over the years. I would recommend the following.

10Pin ----- Transducer
WHITE ---- WHITE
BLUE ----- BLUE
BLACK --- BLACK
BROWN --- Bare shields

Do not connect the orange wire from the transducer at all.

In the FCV588, select the model number 526TID-HDD as your unit.

JE, I wired this Airmar B260 as you suggested, selected 526TID-HDD as transducer type, but there is no temperature displayed. Transducer seems to be working otherwise. Going to the test screen, the internal unit temperature (inside the 588) works, but the transducer temp is blank. In looking at the wiring schematic that I had uploaded previously, could you suggest any other wiring scheme to get the temp thermistor to work? Many thanks again, Kyle

The pigtail cable has temp wires (Brown and White).
I would first find out what color the Garmin colors are for temp and check them with a multi-meter. Normally it will fall around 10k to 20K Ohms. If it does, then connect it to the white and brown, then you should be good.

There is an open circuit between the white wire and shield wires on this B260 (remember the brown wire is cut off in this particular Garmin 6 pin-configured B260). I've emailed Airmar to see if I am checking thermistor resistance correctly (which according to their diagram, I am) or if there is another pair of wires to use. Will let you know their response. Thanks JE.

Back