DRS4D-NXT Cabling

aquabelle

Furuno Super Fan
I am looking at upgrading from a NN3D MFD12 to a TZT or TZT2; and upgrading from a DRS4D to a DRS-NXT. The combined LAN/power cable from my MFD12 to DRS4D would be a bear to tear out and replace. Any reason a competent marine electrician couldn't separate the LAN and power wiring at each end of the DRS4D cable so it can be direct-connected to ship's power (no PSU) and the ethernet switch and serve the DRS-NXT also? (Come to think of it, the existing cable is already separated between the RJ45 and the power wiring at the radome end, isn't it? So it would just be at the MFD end that the tech would need to modify the cable?)

thanks for advice

aquabelle,

You absolutely could separate the existing Power/LAN Cable for the DRS4D. I would however, run a much heavier Power Cable that is required for the DRS4D-NXT (depending on the length of the cable run.) as it uses 12/24 VDC for the unit's Power Supply & Processing needs.

Attachments

• drs4dnxt.jpg
    drs4dnxt.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,285
Thanks Deep Blue. Let me make sure I'm understanding your comment about the power cable. The DRS4D's Manual says it uses 0.5A @ 48V = 24W. The -NXT's spec says it uses 2.5A @ 12v = 30W. Your concern is that the DRS4D's power cable may be under-sized for the -NXT's power demand if the cable length is very long....have I got that right? My cable length MFD-Radar is around 33' (10m). I'll look up the usual voltage drop tables and check out if that is a problem

aquabelle,

Yes, using the DRS4D power cabling is a bit undersized for the application, as all the DRS4D-NXT's Power/Transmit/Processing is done within the Dome/Assy. With the Solid-State there is no need to add a external power supply module any longer. :noway

The LAN side of the DRS4D Cable will work just fine.

- Deep Blue ;)

Back