DRS4W Only picking up targets 2-4 miles

My DRS4W isn’t picking up targets very clearly or as far away as I’d expect it to while out at sea. I can be 40 miles away from land and usually see boats and ships before they appear on my IOS devices.
Mounted on a radar/antenna post on the transom of my sailboat, approx 8’ from waterline. image.jpgimage.jpg

Agreed. Transmitting AIS and VHF must be at least three feet away from the radar or any GPS sensor. The radar won't see through those metal bar mounts and is likely reflecting the radar signal right back at the radar. That entire area should be sector blanked to stop reflections at least until the install gets sorted out better. Radar is X-band not X-ray. If that is a long wire for HF on front of the radar that would be high on my list of "what were they thinking" installs. This is particular worse with a wifi radar as there are very minimal adjustments that an operator can do to over come onboard created issues.

I saw an install with a metal ring right around the outside of the middle of the dome (360) to prevent the radar from getting hit by sailboat rigging. The builder thought it was brilliant idea (custom mount). After the third radar not working on the boat, they sent in photos. Can't change physics.

I'm curious to know what is in front of the radar. Where is the radar mounted in relation to the mast?

Good point @Kraken . Who knows what is forward of that. I never recommend anything blocking the radar in the area of forward movement. (Much like mounting items on your car hood you can't see around) The photo doesn't reveal what might be more forward. There might even be more concerns there. If you can't see through whatever object is there, neither can radar (Generally). @Committed.Sardine do you have other photos showing more of the boat forward?

Thanks for all the reply’s which were helpful. The wire in front is a backstay (I have two, one to each corner of the stern). The post is located on the port/aft corner. Everything pointed out makes sense, I’ll look into moving my gps/vhf antennas and removing the posts that they are currently mounted on. Other than the backstay it is pretty clear in front of the radar. The mast is about 15’ forward and to the right.
I have seen plenty of sailboats with the radar some mounted halfway up the mast, but I suppose that would create the same issue with the back portion of the dome being blocked. Also the front might be blocked by my forsail/forstay.
Sorry I’m away from the boat and un able to provide more pictures.

If something has to be blocked, it is best to have it in the direction you are not traveling. Masts behind a dome don't always need to be sector blanked depending on what it is made of, but you can never see through it. You got this.

Back