FURUNO CHIRP

We went out on a boat the other day with the Garmin Chirp setup with 3kw transducer purchased for deep water fishing in 500m plus and i will say all on board except the Garmin Rep and Dealers were very dissapointed. Great upto 250m but dissapointing from there.

One thing we did see is the Dealer went out of there way to get the perfect screen shot when we connected a 1kw chirp transducer in 1200m and read the bottom after alot of playing around just for the advertising shot lol

Andrew

After speaking to a rep for Lowrance Simrad and then the Garmin rep they said they could look at the bottom 100m in 500m of water and we would see individual fish but it didnt happen. I had a fish on in 500m they didnt even see fish on the sounder untill i asked if they could since i had fish on. All they had was the same quality pictures i have seen on none chirp systems. They then disconnected the 3kw chirp transducer and connected the 1kw chirp in 1270m to get a screen shop but the first guy couldnt get it to read the bottom so the expert guy went and gave it a go and got it to work. The dissapointing part was they spent 20 mins trying to get the perfect screem shot them changed the system to feet for advertising. In 250m it was good but 500m i have seen better. The Garmin rep and dealer were over the moon with a 1200m bottom but the guy who purchased the system told them he wanted to see fish in 500m to 800m and it just didnt perform. Yes it was one trip and i will be doing a few more trips maybe it will get better but if we could catch one 5th of the fish they said were on the sounder " green spot in yellow rain " we would have filled the 40ft boat. Maybe all on board including the owner expected to much but they sold it above its capabilities

Snips":109b6o33 said:
I am curious what were you expecting to see and didn't?

Snips

They said we would see individual fish in 500m but never happened even when we caught fish. Best they did is say they had 3 targets " 3 blobs on the screen " and we caught fish. its hard to discribe but they basicly said if you can see a break between the bottom and a patch on the screen its fish my mates FCV 585 1kw can do that i wanted the fish definition they prommised and could not deliver in 500m of water.

Next time we get out the owner is working alot to pay for it i will let you know if it improves but if the experts couldnt get the results doubt we will.

Garmin 3kw Chirp off Victoria Australia still didnt see any real fish definition even when there was targets only 200m down.

garmin3kw.jpg

Raymarine 3kw Chirp out the same day but a different area

raymarinethink3kw.jpg

Pics are a bit small but were taken on mobile phones i hope Furuno do some deeper water images when there chirp is out there but the Garmin did show somthing near the bottom the guy on the boat with the raymarine said they could only see the bottom all day. Both pics were taken in Auto mode to keep it fair

Pizzaman,
What transducer(s) were the machines connected to?

Snips

Gday Snips

The raymarine we dont know the owner said it was a 3kw chirp but that it he didnt really know what he had he just gave them money and said give me the best lol

The garmin has a Airmar R509

This is a pic of my FCV 295 with the Airmar R299 first trip out but still trying to work settings out i know the wetbox is not ideal but didnt really want to cut a big hole in the bottom as my boat is only 24ft.

Andrew

Andrew,
Thanks for the screen shots. What kind of fish were you after?

Snips

Gday Snips

The area we were fishing we can catch blue eye trevalla, blue grenadier, Harpuka and Pink ling off the bottom and the odd Poorbeagle shark. This time of year the squid boats are out so there is alot of squid in the area as well

Andrew

Back