Put AIS info on N2K net for FI70 & VHF

msandrew

I have several FI-70s, would like them to be able to display AIS targets, and also have my ICOM605 VHFs display AIS targets. How do I get AIS info from the FA170 to the N2K network?

Thanks, -Mark

How do I get AIS info from the FA170 to the N2K
You would take NMEA 0183 and wire up a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter like the Furuno IF-NMEA2k2 over to the NMEA 2000 bus. The converter will translate the 0183 AIS into 2000 and everyone on the 2000 bus will have access.

Thanks, Johnny, noob follow up... My FA170 is set to NAVNET mode. 1) If I take the AIS onto the N2K backbone via 0183 converter, do I need to disconnect the ethernet connection to the HUB101, does it become redundant & confusing to the overall system? 2) There is no designated 0183 port on the FA170 control box, but several COM ports. Do I just use one of these, matching RX-a to TX-a, etc? Do I need to tell the FA170 what to send or will it all just happen? Will the IF-NMEA2K2 give the FA170 the heading and speed info it needs from the N2K backbone? Lastly, Do I change the baud rate to 4800, or keep it at 38,400?

Thanks, -Mark

You would take the commercial FA170 unit off the network and only use NMEA 2000 connection via the converter. The IF-NMEA2k2 would be put into AIS mode (by cutting appropriate wire) and it automatically runs at 38,400 baud rate. You would wire up the connection bi-directional (all four wires) so that the AIS is given to the 2000 bus and the GPS/Heading is given to the FA170. Yes, you would use one of the RS422 COM ports from the FA170 and setup that port for 38,400 to match the converter.

Follow up... I added the IF-NMEA2K2 to get the AIS info on the N2K backbone, and it’s working properly. When I disconnected the ethernet connection to the HUB101, I lost AIS targets on my MFDs. When both the COM port & Ethernet ports are connected, I seem to get targets on all my devices (MFDs, FI70s, ICOM VHFs).

Not sure what is happening regard data going TO the FA170, if it is being overly fed by the HUB101 & IF-NMEA2K2 the speed, location and heading data, or if that is a problem.

So both connections seem to be required to get AIS info everywhere.

The worry about both connections is double targets. If you have both connections but not double targets then the programmers must have accounted for that and you are good; leave it that way.

I'm trying to achieve the same thing here, but the FI70 doesn't recognize the FA170, I have matched the RX and TX correctly, baud rate is correct, when I look at data sources on the FI70, nothing comes up under AIS... any help would be appreciated.

Does the order of connection on the backbone make any difference?

FA170 (commercial product) is NMEA 0183 and the FA70 (Light Marine product) is NMEA 2000. What converter are you using?

Do you have any other devices on the 2000 bus that would allow you to display AIS to verify if the data is there? If not do you have a NMEA 2000 monitor tool like the Maretron USB100?

Do you have any other devices on the 2000 bus that would allow you to display AIS to verify if the data is there? If not do you have a NMEA 2000 monitor tool like the Maretron USB100?
I have a NMEA2000 to Ethernet connector, but the data is also not showing up that way. That said, my TZTL12 and MFD12 both see the converter as being there just not the data.

The purple wire was cut and the converter connected to the 2000 bus and then removed (power cycled) so it would sense the mode change? Is the light on the converter blinking slowly? Do you have any 0183 monitor to check the data coming out of the AIS unit?

The purple wire was cut and the converter connected to the 2000 bus and then removed (power cycled) so it would sense the mode change? Is the light on the converter blinking slowly? Do you have any 0183 monitor to check the data coming out of the AIS unit?
Yes, the purple cable was cut, light blinking on converter, power was cycled several times. Data is coming out of the AIS to the TZTL and FA170 monitor, the monitor also shows data coming from the com port. Can you confirm the matching of RX to TX as on the R side, the final letters don’t match between the manual for the converter and the FA170.

Only two wires on the converter should be connected to the AIS. Between the two devices it should be wired like this.

IF-NMEA2k2 ------------------------------------------ FA170 AIS

YELLOW (with light blue tracer) (+ Input)------------- Pin one (+ Output)
GREEN (with light blue tracer) (-Input) --------------- Pin two (- Output)

Other than ensuring you have set the mode on the converter and verified the AIS is setup to output 34,800; it is a pretty simple connection.

The installer should wire the converter up to one of the available COM ports and ensure THAT COM port is the one that has been properly configured to 38,400 in the settings.

1693231448924.png

I don’t have the colours that you mention. I have:

Blue with yellow tracer
Blue with green tracer
Pink and black
Pink
Red
Grey
Brown
Black

And then the shorted red black and purple, which I have cut the purple.

So I tried blue with with yellow and blue with green, which appears to work but I constantly get a ‘Invalid CPA/TCPA’ alarm

Okay I had the main and the tracer colors swapped but the same combination of colors. Only two wires on the converter should be connected to the AIS. Between the two devices it should be wired like this.

IF-NMEA2k2 ------------------------------------------ FA170 AIS

Light blue tracer (with yellow) (+ Input)------------- Pin one (+ Output)
Light blue (with green tracer) (-Input) --------------- Pin two (- Output)

Where are you seeing the Alarm? The Fi70 display or the AIS FA170 display?

I got it working now, I just disabled the AIS alarms on the FI70 as I have them on the FA170 display and the TZTL. Thank you for your help!

@Johnny Electron Another one for you, I was hoping that using the IF-NMEA2k2 I would be able to share my AIS data to openCPN via a NMEA to Ethernet adaptor, but it seems that's not the case. What's the best/easiest way to achieve this?

Back