Remote access through Starlink

Barrync

I own an offshore charter boat but have a crew that typically operates it for me. I have a TZT3 12 and starlink on the boat, is there a way for me to view the TZT via my phone while the boat is offshore or at least get tracking data from it?

I run a VPN connector (OpenVPN Cloudconnexa) into my boat to allow me to be able to connect my iPad to the NMEA data that I have piped into my boat network. Once I am connected to the VPN tied to my boat I can pull all of the data on the NMEA into my TimeZero app and show the position of the boat, heading, speed, and water depth it is operating in.

Note, I do not have Starlink on my boat, just T-Mobile home internet so this only works when I am in range of cell towers. I see no reason why this setup wouldn't work with any other service provider. I use a connector inside of my network because T-Mobile uses a double NAT. Not sure about Starlink, but I image that they are probably doing something similar.

Starlink does some sort of cg-nat so, it's like the T-mobile double nat.
For tracking purposes, just tell the MFD to phone home to a mytimezero account. It's basically one of the steps in the link Johnny shared.

If you don't mind using a ton of data, you could attach a HDMI IP encoder to the HDMI output of your MFD and configure the encoder to livestream the display. I wouldn't do this if you have any data limits or are using the offshore/marine starlink services. You'd probably use a month's Internet in one day.

Back