SCX20 magnetic heading sensor?

hori

Furuno Fan
There is a magnetic heading sensor built into the design. It’s used now to speed up the initial satellite heading calculations at startup, but Furuno plans to “deliver a software upgrade that will provide full magnetic automatic backup in the case of 100% GNSS blockage!” The company was hesitant to advertise this feature before it met their “stringent QC tests” but they’re “confident” about that now. So any update on this as I would like to unplug my flux gate as back up.

Where is that quote from? I can ask them. How long while being blocked do you need heading? I know the units seem to work when going under bridges in such. In what cases are you being covered and seeing it switch sources over to your flux gate?

I think the source got confused or is talking about if you have both a SCX20 and a Fluxgate on the 2000 network how it does auto switching. This is a built in feature of the newer NavNet MFDs, not directly related to the SCX20 itself. SAT compasses are much better than fluxgates it does offer some estimated heading for short periods going under bridges and such to prevent temp losses of data. If a bird lands on the compass and blocks the signal and heading is dropped the NavNet will indeed switch to the next available source of heading it can find on the bus. If that is a fluxgate then so be it. There are no plans to put a fluxgate into the SCX20 that I have ever heard, nor do I see that documented in any of the manuals as a feature.

Back