Unable to program FA-70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MV Dragonfly

I recently installed a FA-70, connected it to my N2K backbone and now I have AIS on everything (except radar but I gave up on that) the problem is, I cannot access the FA-70 to program it. My NavPilot 300 lists it in the devices but it don't show up in the installation screen (yet my SCX20 does) so I can program it. So I tried to connect my computer to the USB port of the FA-70 and using the AIS Setting tool but I don't get a COM port. I tried installing the USB driver to my PC (Windows 11) and I get a error "No signature was present in the subject" so the driver install fails. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_150047.jpg
    IMG_20240427_150047.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240427_150037.jpg
    IMG_20240427_150037.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
What software do you have on the NAVpilot 300 (processor and controller)? The problem updating the FA70 via the NAVpilot 300 may be due to old software. The current software for the NAVpilot 300 is processor v01.08 and controller v01.09. Here's a link to the NAVpilot software and instructions (at bottom of page): https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/NAVPILOT 300

Windows 11 will only allow signed drivers to be installed. There are ways around it, but that's beyond the scope of Furuno tech support. If you have access to an older computer with Windows 7 or older, it doesn't require signed drivers and would work.

What software do you have on the NAVpilot 300 (processor and controller)? The problem updating the FA70 via the NAVpilot 300 may be due to old software. The current software for the NAVpilot 300 is processor v01.08 and controller v01.09. Here's a link to the NAVpilot software and instructions (at bottom of page): https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/NAVPILOT 300
Thank you TheReaper,

So I need to open the processor to get to this USB port?

If you're referring to the instructions on how to update the NAVpilot 300...then, yes, need to take cover off to access the USB port.

Okay I started with the firmware version shown, and once I found a USB drive the processor liked I started the upgrade with "NP300 Boot Loader update 1 05" only the controller showed it needed updated and it went fine. Then I started the "Cont 1 09 and Proc 1 08" and both showed they needed updating so I started the controller update, it got stuck on the second image for 30 mintues so far (still stuck) the the 'Update status' squares are moving and the 'Now updating' is moving but the timer is not counting. I don't want to just shut it off and start over in fear of bricking it. Please advise

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_093307.jpg
    IMG_20240429_093307.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240429_084903.jpg
    IMG_20240429_084903.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
You didn't need an update with that version you showed in the picture. Just shut it off. Then, please send me a picture of the boot screen with all the software versions or hold down the wrench/return button until the menu pops up; go to System Setup-Diagnostics; then choose Processor (take a picture) and then hit wrench/return and choose Controller (take a picture). Post those please.

Okay I shut everything down, even the N2K backbone (had to the controller won't turn off with the power button), waited a minute, then turned on the N2K backbone, then the Autopilot Controller breaker, then powered up the controller it gives one short beep, then a long beep, then goes right back into the 'frozen' updating screen as showed before except the 'CAN Unique ID' is 0.... Tried differnet turn on steps with no change.

Last edited:
If I put the USB drive bak in the Processor, power up the controller then turn on the processor breaker, I get the same screen but the ''CAN Unique ID' is 94864 again.

It appears that the processor and all controllers (if you have more than one) need to be sent in to our Service Center. To do this, please use this link to complete the RMA process in order to send in: https://www.furunousa.com/en/get_support and choose "Return Merchandise Authorization" block. Once you get an email with authorization and instructions, please send in at that time.

Also, If I didn't need to update the firmware on the NavPilot 300 what could be the issue with not being able to program the AIS? I don't have a windows 7 machine, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back