Upgrade for FAR2117 25kW 96nm radar with 6’ open array

sbarlow

I am looking to replace a FAR2117 25kW IMO compliant 96nm radar with 6’ open array. This would be the long range radar on a 70' passagemaker yacht and would integrate into an overall electronics upgrade based on the newest NavNet XL screens. Any feedback would be appreciated.

While the commercial products are not generally discussed in this consumer forum the XL system does support networking of one commercial radar like the x7 or x8 into the NavNet network. I am confused about your question. Do you ask what 6ft open array model radar would be good to replace the existing x7 radar with or are you seeking to keep the x7 radar but change the array out for something shorter?

While the commercial products are not generally discussed in this consumer forum the XL system does support networking of one commercial radar like the x7 or x8 into the NavNet network. I am confused about your question. Do you ask what 6ft open array model radar would be good to replace the existing x7 radar with or are you seeking to keep the x7 radar but change the array out for something shorter?
Hello. I am looking to replace the old radar with a current unit that has equivalent or better performance (in all areas) than the old radar, and can integrate into the newest Furuno MFD's. I would stick with a 6ft open array and am asking the question out of due diligence. If the newest TOTL radars exceed the old radar across the board, then it is easy.. If there are some aspects where the old unit excels, then that is something for consideration. Hopefully it is an easy question.

You would be looking for the DRS25A-NXT or the DRS25A-X. The links are to the radar with 6ft array. You would still need to decide the scanner cable length needed and by the radar cable to connect it to your NavNet XL network. The NXT is solid state and the X-class is magnetron. Magnetron will cost less and compares to the X7 in performance and will light racons further than solid state and gives slight advantage on bird location. The NXT will give you the doppler advanced features for some of the new XL features and never requires a magnetron change.

You would be looking for the DRS25A-NXT or the DRS25A-X. The links are to the radar with 6ft array. You would still need to decide the scanner cable length needed and by the radar cable to connect it to your NavNet XL network. The NXT is solid state and the X-class is magnetron. Magnetron will cost less and compares to the X7 in performance and will light racons further than solid state and gives slight advantage on bird location. The NXT will give you the doppler advanced features for some of the new XL features and never requires a magnetron change.
That is great information! Would it be logical to go with a magnetron radar w/6ft array for the long range radar and a solid state NXT w/4ft array for closer in navigation? The combination sounds like a good amalgamation of capabilities.

Many larger boats will have a dome radar for backup. The new XL features using the NXT radars would be hard to pass up. I would say if you spend the saved money of going with x-class towards a NXT dome, you would have the best of all worlds.

If going with only one radar with TZTXL, my choice would be the NXT regardless of type. Johnny's right that you can always run two radars even at the same time as long as you offset them by at least 18" or run the radar based on your needs at that the particular moment having the best of both worlds.

Back