What is recommended electric stabilization and noise reduction?

I have disturbances ("glitches") on my 2 pcs TZT3-12. Like a sensor that is not working - an unexpected alarm that suddenly triggers.
I can only see this when I run the massive alternators - so of course I am suspecting that there are disturbance on power.
The units and the NavNet is grounded - but what about power. I feed them 24 V directly.
Is it time to put in something like a Victron 24/24 to get better environment?
What is the experience?

Grounding loops are a concern when running 24v and and 12v items mixed. Running a small power conditioner for the NMEA 2000 bus would be my first action. Checking grounds and ensuring that all network cables are shielded with metal RJ45 connectors is a must. It only takes one plastic RJ45 to make things a noise fest. If still fighting the battle, then yes it couldn't hurt to put isolated power conditioners in front of the MFD power.

Grounding loops are a concern when running 24v and and 12v items mixed. Running a small power conditioner for the NMEA 2000 bus would be my first action. Checking grounds and ensuring that all network cables are shielded with metal RJ45 connectors is a must. It only takes one plastic RJ45 to make things a noise fest. If still fighting the battle, then yes it couldn't hurt to put isolated power conditioners in front of the MFD power.
Thank you very much for input. Very appreciated. Noise reduction is a bit of a black art and your experience is so valuable.

About metalic RJ45:s.
We have a big catamaran with one MFD in each hull, a PC with a switch in the middle and a radar in the mast. So we do have a bit of twisted pair running. And yes they are sometimes close to other cables (like charge from alternators) - that is how it is done and I cant change it.

No connector are shielded. I have not checked the class of the cables.
I was not aware this is so critical. I have always assumed that the devices does not use the cover as shield anyhow?
Can you comment on this? Do you know if the TZT is using the cable housing to ground?

The power to my N2k has a Alfatec 24 to 13.6 Volt filter on it. It "should" be good.

The power to the MFD is straight from the battery - where also the cables from the alternators end. So the only filtering here is what the battery dampens out. I will put in a 24-24 filter and tell the result.

So my final questioon to you is:
Do you think I should go through all RJ45:s and crimp them with shielded RJ45:s?

Thank you very much for input. Very appreciated. Noise reduction is a bit of a black art and your experience is so valuable.

About metalic RJ45:s.
We have a big catamaran with one MFD in each hull, a PC with a switch in the middle and a radar in the mast. So we do have a bit of twisted pair running. And yes they are sometimes close to other cables (like charge from alternators) - that is how it is done and I cant change it.

No connector are shielded. I have not checked the class of the cables.
I was not aware this is so critical. I have always assumed that the devices does not use the cover as shield anyhow?
Can you comment on this? Do you know if the TZT is using the cable housing to ground?

The power to my N2k has a Alfatec 24 to 13.6 Volt filter on it. It "should" be good.

The power to the MFD is straight from the battery - where also the cables from the alternators end. So the only filtering here is what the battery dampens out. I will put in a 24-24 filter and tell the result.

So my final questioon to you is:
Do you think I should go through all RJ45:s and crimp them with shielded RJ45:s?
Unfortunately, if your cabling is not shielded, shielded RJ-45s won't do anything for you.

Ideally, noise is killed at the source. Next proper grounding and shielding should be in place. Lastly measures like EMI filters and DC power conditioners can be used. Noise can be difficult but if you can fix the source of the problem it is always best. Running unshielded network cables is just bad practice. I would be having a heart to heart talk with your installer and find someone else to use the next time.

Back