DRS6ANXT/4 wiring question

kadeylover

Replacing a DRS6A/4 with a DRSANXT/4. Although NXT installation instructions state the existing DRS6A power cable cannot be used, is this definitive?

Last edited:
It is definitive it can't be used. Besides the connections it has to do with current and the conductor size. The DRS6A runs off 48v and current values are different whenever running 12v. (Voltage goes down, current goes up when everything else is equal) You can NOT use the PSU012 because it provide 48vdc and will smoke your new NXT. If you are running an old NN3D system, you do know that you can't run an NXT radar correct? If you are retrofitting to TZT3 an older HUB101 should be replaced with the newer version or something off the shelf. Power sync is not used after NN3D so if using a new hub101, ensure all power sync switches are OFF. The older NN3D era HUB101 can not be used with TZ up because they are too slow and will provide nothing but problems. They can only be used with the NN3D. If your not sure how old the hub is look under the cover. At the circuit board top right it will have "Furuno" and a part number with a -11, -22, or -55. For TZT and up you must have a -55 or replace it. The PSU012 should be sold off or go used with the old radar.

Checked the HUB101 today; part number ended with -22, so I will be ordering a new HUB101 per your recommendation. My two TZTL15F plotters are Version 8.01 which, according to the system configuration which came with the new NXT, are supported. Removed the old PSU012. Ordered a new Furuno 15m power cable for a direct run from the HUB101 to the NXT. I think I'm all set; thanks for your help!

Just to to your any of favorite big box store and get Netgear GS108 switch. You can cut the cord off the power brick and wire it straight to your 12v system. I have had one under my helm for 3 years now with no issues.

Yes, it sounds like you are well on your way. As gstang462002 says and I had mentioned above it is possible to off the shelf with the hub unless running 24v there. Netgear and others will smoke if connected to 24v.

Yes, it sounds like you are well on your way. As gstang462002 says and I had mentioned above it is possible to off the shelf with the hub unless running 24v there. Netgear and others will smoke if connected to 24v.
Just to clarify your initial post re the necessity for replacing the HUB101, if the part number did not end in -55 (current one ends in -22). I am not retrofitting to TZT3; retaining my TZT2 plotters, which worked fine with the current HUB101, which operates on 12v (also networking the previous DRS6A/4, BBWX3, and FA-50). The system configuration which came with the new NTX only depicts the cable going to the HUB101, but there is no mention of it having to be one having a P/N ending in -55. Is the need for a new HUB101 (-55) necessary if NOT upgrading to TZT3, or because I have upgraded to NXT? Thanks, again.

TZT/TZT2/TZT3 all would need the -55 type hub or an off the shelf option because the -11 and -22 are slower and not fast enough for the newer TZT systems. If you keep a -22 on a TZT2 system you are likely to run into problems at some point due to the slower data. Just better not to do that. We have learned the hard way and just sharing our lessons learned. The older NN3D type is okay for NN3D for which they were designed. Nothing wrong with using a Netgear or TPlink as long as they connect to the 12v system. They have a 16v regulator. This was done many times in the Vx2 and NN1 days. Off the shelf solutions are low cost and while might not last as long, they are very cheap to replace. The power sync features of the hub101 are only used for NN3D. About the only reason to get the hub101 for a TZT+ system is if you need to run a 24v system or if you prefer to have the Furuno hub. Just make sure ALL the power sync switches are OFF. The -55 rocks the data but it also can rock the wallet for some.

Back